The following generic checklist items can be customised to meet the specific needs of the leased room(s).
The items on this list should include the condition the rental property should be left in, as well as any additional move out procedures and obligations.
What Is a Move Out Checklist?
The tenant move out checklist is a form that is to be attached as a rider to the original lease agreement.
This checklist provides instructions for the tenant on the procedures and the tasks they need to complete during move-out.
Why Is a Move Out Checklist Important?
Move out checklists are especially important when it comes to the security deposit. Security Deposit Disputes are a big issue between Blandlords, tenants for sub-tenancy or a company entity, and tenants. If the tenant understands the proper procedures for move out, including the condition they are supposed to leave the rental property in, it will help minimise these issues.
Following these instructions, and adhering to the terms of their lease, will help ensure the tenant receives their Security Deposit back in full.
This move out checklist is also important because it helps to keep landlords, tenants for sub-tenancy or a company entity to keep themsleves organised. Without this checklist, it can be easy to overlook something, such as the return of the keys.
Sample Move Out Checklist
- Please email the Tenant Relationship Manager/ Community Manager at least 7 days prior to the move-out to schedule your inspection
- Room must be broom swept clean, mopped
- All walls must be fixed, clean and painted the same colour as before tenancy began (Unless Tenant has been given prior written permission from Landlord)
- Remove all of your personal possessions and belongings in your room and the common area, particularly the food
- No trash shall be left behind; Do NOT leave garbage at the rubbish bin
- If applicable, all common areas shall be cleaned of debris and left clean
- Leave all furniture, bed ware, kitchen appliances, window curtain, wifi device, and stuffs belongingness to the Landlord at same as move in situation
- All keys shall be returned at inspection and be tested if they are functionable
- All plumbing is to be free of any leaks or blockages
- All air-con in the room and appliances in the common area are to be working properly
- Make the manager being aware of any damage or issues inside the rental unit
- Return the Smart card, AC remote, if applicable. A fee of Penalty stated on email or lease contract will be charged in case lost, if any
All of the aforementioned items need to be done PRIOR to your move-out inspection so that you can RECEIVE YOUR FULL SECURITY DEPOSIT BACK (less any withholding from earlier tenancy).
Any and all repairs, repainting, trash removal, cleaning, and/or any other expenses that are attributed to restoring your room to its condition prior to your tenancy will be deducted from your Security Deposit .
If additional money is needed to restore said room, landlords, tenants for sub-tenancy or the company entity, will send the corresponding tenant a bill and/or file legal suit for said money in court.
Your Security Deposit will be return to you on the date you return keys, your move out with a condition that the move-out inspection prior to your move-out is satisfied.
Please also note the replace/repair cost(s) for items you leave in disarray.
Please remember to deliver your room in the same condition it was in prior to your tenancy.
This will ensure YOU RECEIVE THE MOST MONEY POSSIBLE!
Good luck with your move.